Agriculture Conservation Experienced Services (ACES) Program US Forest Service (FS)
Location: Watersmeet, MI
The Center for Workforce Inclusion is recruiting for a Greenhouse Technician position in the Forest Service’s Agriculture Conservation Experienced Services (ACES) Program (55 or older) to work at the Ottawa National Forest, JW Toumey Nursery in Watersmeet, MI.
Performs maintenance and operation of controlled environment greenhouse, including care of greenhouse equipment, seedlings. Treat seedlings, disease and insect activity, and soils, as needed, apply corrective measures. This includes:
- Assist in the maintenance and operations of a controlled environment greenhouse which includes adjustment of environmental controls, nutrient injectors, and pesticide/fungicide application (requires Pesticide Applicator License).
- Observe seedling condition, soil condition, disease or insect activity and facilitates the necessary corrective measure to ensure quality seedlings and report situations to the supervisor. Perform seedling inventories following specific guidelines. Maintain detailed records on a variety of activities, observations, and inventories.
- Assist with weed control throughout the nursery, including weeding bareroot seedlings, operating mowers and line trimmers, and applying herbicide.
- Assist in preventative equipment and facility maintenance and cleaning.
- Assist with the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of irrigation equipment.
- Assist with extraction, grading, and shipment of seedlings. Safely transport seedlings, as needed.
- Assist with sowing and growing seedlings. Assist with grafting seedlings.
- Collects biological and vegetation specimens and samples and prepares them for analysis.
55 years or age or older; High School graduate or equivalent; minimum 15 years of related experience; experience growing seedlings in a greenhouse, including fertilizing, irrigating, inventorying, and controlling pests; current/valid State of Michigan Pesticide and Fungicide Applicator License; knowledge of the operation of tractors, forklifts, and a variety of specialized greenhouse equipment; experience with grafting seedlings; strong communication, team skills, and strong work ethic.
Part‐time position working up to 4 hours per week @ $35.00 per hour.
E-mail resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject Line of email: Please type – Greenhouse Technician.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Center for Workforce Inclusion provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.